19 January 2015

To the Dissenter and Sower of Contention on the Street Corner

Today is the day in which we observe the work of Martin Luther King Jr and the liberty of blacks nationwide. It is a big deal and one I fully support.
But of course, as on every other day of such import and sacred observance, there are those who will see it as their "time to shine". The day where they will sit on the street corner with their signs on which are usually written controversial topics regarding the topic of the day.
I went in to work this morning, which was rather rough after the day I had yesterday that followed a terrible nights sleep before. On my walk, I get to see the temple in construction and on this particular day wherein I walked to and from work, I got to see it twice.
However, the aforementioned type of person decided to perch on the corner directly across from the temple--the one I had to stand at to wait my turn to cross the street (there being construction on the corner of temple grounds). I was content to ignore him and wait most peacefully for my right of way but, seeing as he probably hasn't been contented by being able to stir up contention elsewhere promptly asks, "Are you LDS?" At which point, I actually glanced at his sign, back up to his leering face, and stated, "Yes."
I turned my face back to the other side of the street wishing for him to leave me be--my wish would not be granted. He proceeded to throw out the question, "Do you know why blacks didn't receive the Priesthood until after 1837?"
To which I answered, "It doesn't matter."
"It doesn't matter in general? It doesn't matter to you?" I could hear the combative tone in his voice and already having had a rough mood and not desiring to explain to him what I'd meant (because I know he would have taken whatever I had said and twist it anyway) I told him I really didn't feel keen on fighting him on the matter and proceeded to ignore him.
Two others joined me at the stop light, one answering that they were not LDS, the other, being LDS like I was answering him with the same words. "It doesn't matter."

Now, before anyone leaps into argument, I care enough about those who will read this to explain myself and my words to this man.

I said that it didn't matter that blacks were allowed the Priesthood after 1837 because I believe in God and His prophets.
They have the Priesthood now. Why didn't they have it from the beginning? That is not for me to say or even really have a huge opinion about because I believe in the Lord's timing. I might not always understand it, but His timing is perfect--His rule is perfect. I can rejoice with all that now every worthy man can obtain the Priesthood.
If you have a problem with the Lord's timing, take it up with Him. It doesn't matter how many you corrupt or sow doubt into because it doesn't change history--it doesn't change God.
My apologies, sir on the street corner, but it would take a great deal more than a question that you have about how the Lord works and restores His church and the dealings therein to shake my faith in His church, this Gospel, the Lord's timing and my love and hope in His name.

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment