01 November 2012

If Wishes Were Fishes...

"I thought you wished you could see the sea!" said the trout."I did," said Jane, "But I never expected the wish to come true."
"Great oceans! Why bother to wish it then? I call that simply a waste of time. But come on! Mustn't be late for the party!”
―P.L. Travers


The great thing about wishes is that at any time you can act on them and give them a chance at coming true. Granted, not all our wishes are plausible in their results or even probable, but we are still welcome to try, aren't we?
In all honesty though, I am a true wisher. I make wishes all the time! On birthday candles, shooting stars and even at 11:11. Often my wishes are rather flippant, just to get them out there so that I needn't burst with all the suppressed wishing but only now again do I actually pursue the wishes I wish and those are usually the ones that sprout from dreams I have or give life to the dreams themselves.
Then again, other wishes I make are very, very long term in the forthcoming of results. So without further ado...

What is the thing you most wish you were great at?
There are a great many things I wish I were great at, from acting, to playing the violin to talking with my family on a weekly basis. But the thing that I most wish that I were great at is following the will of the Lord. I suspect that many things I wish I were great at would fall into place if I could just get this one aspect of living my life down. I am sure there have been many times in my life that I have wasted and possibly missed the greater opportunities the Lord was willing to give me because I pursued something or even someone that I thought would be one of the keys to my happiness. 
I suspect there are times when I am better at following His will rather than mine than at other moments and I guess, in the end, I am still learning. I am still growing and progressing. If I were completely fantastic at this one principle, perhaps I would have no more need of this mortal life and would be ready for the next step. 
So, in review, I guess I am mildly thankful that I haven't quite mastered the art of following His will completely because that means I still have things to do, things to accomplish, tasks to go about before He calls me back home. I am living life and although I do make mistakes, and often, I should like to think that I am continually progressing even if it is a small centimeter at a time. 

What do YOU most wish you were great at? I am curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment