21 October 2012

Passion

What a wonderful evening I have just had! Every other month or so (as far as I can figure) I go to a House Show. What is a House Show you might ask? Well, let me tell you. It is when a bunch of good friends and good strangers gather at a cozy little house named the Avocottage for a night of music and camaraderie of the sincerest kind. 
I cannot even begin to express the love I have for this event. I get to see some friends that otherwise I might have lost complete contact with and my are they lovely people. Talented too! Ted, Ben and Dan are the illustrious hosts (woah... all their names have three letters...) and each play at good handful of songs. Ted and Ben are, in my opinion, quite brilliant lyricists and it is so fun to find out what old "trashy pop" song Dan will pull out next. Ah the nostalgia...
Definitely made some new friends this evening and I hope that we might become better acquainted in the future. 

And this perfectly dovetails into the subject of this blog post.
What are 5 passions you have?

1) It is easily seen that one of my passions is music. I think music is the embodiment of all that we ever wish to say and (while it is sometimes hidden within the lyrics or lack thereof) it is an art that connects humanity. You might not even know what the singers are saying (in the case of foreign artists) but the music and themes therein are, to risk sounding cliche, timeless and eternal. Anyone who really knows me knows that I find emotional release through the playing of the piano but sometimes, to myself, I sing songs that reflect whatever turmoil or peace lies in my heart at a given moment when it is too much for me to suppress. I sing lest I burst.
2) Another passion of mine is acting. The ability for me to completely lose my self in the story of the character that I  am portraying is almost like taking a small vacation from reality. To imagine that your experiences are that of the character. When I go to a play or the cinema and feel my heart pricked by the poignancy and realism of a scene, I cannot help but feel excited and feel the almost uncontrollable urge to jump into the scene and react truly to whatever is being presented to my senses. 
3) My third passion that comes to mind would have to be dancing. The abandoning of one's self to the rhythms in the music and being drawn to move lights my heart. I love the exhilaration that comes with learning a new dance or simply a new step within the dance. I never feel more graceful than when I am led in a waltz, one free of restrictive routines where one moment I may be dancing with my partner, experiencing the dance with him while the next I am by myself in a series of spins, pirouettes and reaching as if to call my partner back to my side. 
4) A fourth passion of mine is writing. (Can you not tell?) Unfortunately, I find myself with so many ideas pouring from my mind that I have at least 30 or so beginnings of stories. I do plan to finish one... some day... I do find however, that I envy lyricists or poets in general. I love the shortness of their writing and how much it conveys in so few words but whenever I have a real desire to write it seems to turn into pages upon pages of novel-esque writing... perhaps I could find a class that would teach me how to ignore the desire to expound on everything and trust my audience to read between the lines/put a story to my song. Geez. Haha!
5) The last passion that I will share here is photography. To be honest, if I had a car, I would have been up Provo Canyon at the change of the seasons to capture the fire of the mountains that I have heard so much about. There is simply something magical about the changing colors of the leaves between summer and autumn. Anyway, even more than taking photos of nature and the delicate creations of the Lord, I love to take pictures of people. I wish I had more time to devote to learning true photography but there is just something about catching people in their most mundane and every day tasks that thrills me. Each person is different in the way they go about things: the tilt of their heads, the way their lips frame their smile, the small glances between two people who are just beginning to understand their feelings for one another to those who have known for a while and are finally caught showing their sweetest looks of adoration for one another. I am constantly amazed at the differences from person to person of their body structure even in its similarities, how each little detail has been thought of meticulously by our loving Creator. And to be able to catch these forms in the peak of movement or stillness is what truly draws me to the art, to capture their living essence.

Well, the hour is growing later still, church is in the morning, and I am highly curious to see what the weather will be about tomorrow. It seems a wind storm is having its yearly festivities with the falling leaves... maybe it will also guide some rain clouds across the sky...? Would not that be wonderful.

Until next time (probably tomorrow) wherein I will be listing the 10 people that have made an influence on me AND how! (A rather demanding question... I will have to really think about which 10 I choose, I daresay.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment