22 October 2012

The Magnificent... 10.

So, in spite of having to work, today was an overall good day. I love Sundays. Nothing is really all that hectic and although I don't ever seem to have time to squeeze in a nap, it always seems to work out just fine. Plus, it was such a blessing to attend my meetings today. So many of the lessons pointed to a reassurance that blessings will come to those who faithfully pay their tithing first and follow the commandments of God. 
However, realizing the very real plight I may be in for if Disney doesn't pan out, I'm going to try going around for jobs again. To be honest it would help if I had a bus pass but perhaps that will come with time? Who knows? Maybe I can find a part time off campus and work on campus until they kick me out and get enough money to buy one...? It may just work... now if I can find someone willing to hire me within walking distance. (I would say biking distance but I have a feeling snow isn't too far off...) 
If I can't find a different job however... I will probably be whisked away back to Brookings. Definitely not ideal for any one but I guess it will give my parents another slave for a while longer. Ha! (Mom, I talked to my supervisor and if I understand completely right [I don't think there was any way to misunderstand] then I will be offed no longer than two weeks before the new semester {winter} starts... so the weekend before Christmas...? That is my estimation. And this is all if, of course, I don't get Disney and can't find a proper job between now and mid-November let's say?)
So, please keep up the prayers if you have been praying that SOMEthing will pan out. And I will continue working hard for my goals.

Now to turn to the main message contained in this blog (beware... I fear it may be rather long-- not for the faint of heart!!) I am to list the 10 people that have influenced me the most and why. This may be tough but I will prevail!

1. Parents. OK. Obvious, I know but I will split them into A and B to be certain (and so that one doesn't feel less loved than the other... of course. And it will be alphabetical by title.)
A. Dad. Growing up, Dad was definitely the sort of quiet support that balances out the advice given by Mom. The thing I loved about the times I was around Dad were how comfortably we could sit in silence, listening to Enya or singing aloud to Beach Boys (Endless Summer). I look for a lot of qualities in the guys I think seriously about that I have found in Dad over the years. His patience is definitely among the top qualities and, although I can't say I deserve the patience, I do hope the Lord blesses me with someone like him. He has influenced the way I think men ought to treat women and I never lacked the knowledge of him loving me and thinking I was one of the prettiest little girls he had ever seen (even when I donated my hair for the first time and walked into Les Schwab with a bob). Thank heavens for good fathers.
B. Mom. What can I say? Although we do butt heads now that I am out of the house (it didn't happen as much while we lived under the same roof for some reason... but moving on) Mom has definitely influenced the way I go about my religion. I admit that I fall off the bandwagon sometimes but when it comes to my beliefs and how they structure my life I don't back down. Mom (with Dad's support as well) always helped me to make sure I paid my tithing correctly, properly and promptly. And of course, she also influenced my cooking and baking. The cookies I make aren't exactly as she taught me, I'll admit but I would never have developed the love of being in the kitchen without her encouraging me (and sometimes "forcing" me) to help in the kitchen--especially around the holiday seasons. Looking back on those times that we were working together in the kitchen, I definitely miss those moments. Even when she scolded me for cutting the potatoes to small for the potato salad, at least she cared enough to pay attention and to teach me how to do it right so that, if ever I were to find myself making potato salad, I know how to do it properly.
C. (Haha!) I just realized that I should probably put a category of my parents together-- my taste in music has been greatly influenced by these people. I mean, really? Everything from Johnny Cash and George Strait, Patsy Cline and Shania Twain country to Journey, Eagles and Chicago? Yeah, that's quite the mix. Furthermore, I know what a working marriage looks like. They will have been together for 26 years this November I believe and you know what? They may not always agree, but they work through it. Although my Dad and I are much alike in our quietness, they have learned how to communicate with one another (not always crystal clear at first) and work until they have understood each other as well as is possible between a man and a woman. I know the love between them and I know their devotion to the Gospel is one of the many things that keep them together. I am thankful to be aware of this so that I might apply it later on.

2. Aunt Candy. My mom's little sister. The relative that I most resemble. In an almost freaky manner. Haha! Candy is, quoting myself from earlier years, the smartest person I know, personally. Perhaps not as far as all that science and mathematics stuff goes but just about life in general. She never ceases to amaze me with her strength and understanding of the Gospel. She served a mission for the church when she was 22 and although she is single, she has made it work for her. She hasn't given up on life but continues to move forward, serving the Lord and her fellow man. I cannot tell you how much I cherish those times when I was able to drive with her in her little green bug and talk about life. {The cool thing about aunts is they can totally support you without the nervousness of a parent (of course they get nervous sometimes but it's a more gungho feel towards life if you understand me). } Those times in her car, listening to Taylor Swift and the like, I always appreciated the advice she gave to me and her refreshing outside view of my life. I find strength in her strength and hope to be as whole as she is if things don't pan out the way I always believed they would. Also, her excellent taste in music and understanding of my feelings toward how my life is currently have added to my music collection a few songs that help me to hope and have faith that all will work out in the end for all of us.

3. Jerry (and in ways that can only be found in a family, the rest of my siblings). My older brother. Influence? Oh, he taught me to be tough alright. Stick to my guns and hang on tight so that I'm not the only one who gets hurt when we hit the ground. How blessed I am to have an older brother who taught me to be wary of those smooth talkin' guys older than I and wiser in the ways of the world. I remember a couple of times back when we were in high school together when boys would take peculiar interest in me. He definitely did the big brother role proud, scaring away those who encouraged me to dress less than I did, and even getting ready to kill whatever guy had dared to whistle at me down the hallway of our school. Jerry, much like my Dad, helped me to know what was not acceptable from guys and which guys were best to avoid. Of course, I have only just recently started to be able to really and truly apply this knowledge but it is better late than never. Jerry, Mikkaila, Thomas and Alexandra have shown me unconditional love and also showed me just how much I must work on my patience. What are siblings for anyway if not to fight with you all night and then talk to one another into the wee hours of the morning about the "important stuff" in life?

4. Patrick. My first kiss. And now I know just how strong I am.

5. Kelton. I have learned so much from this young man. Not only how to play the ukulele but also that not everyone will judge me harshly. There are definitely people out there who, even though they haven't been tested in the same ways I have, can understand me and accept me and realize that I have already met with the Lord and been given that beloved gift of forgiveness. I also realize just how much I am willing to sacrifice to make a relationship work. It takes patience from both sides, understanding that not every free moment can be spent with one another but that if your thoughts are caring toward one another, at the very least, it will be alright until the morrow. I also know how warm a friendship post relationship can be if it is ended in the right manner with the right spirit. I have learned how to move on without destroying what beauty is left to me. 

6. Ashley and Emily. Why together? Because we're three peas in a pod. Casashmily. They have taught me to be me and what it truly means to be sisters from another mother. "God made us best friends because He knew our mothers couldn't handle us as sisters," greatly applies to our friendship and sisterhood. They have taught me to expect the unexpected in matters of love and future plans. They have helped me to embrace my silly side and to make memories while I can for you never know when the next great reunion will be. They are my older sisters. And after that fated meeting sleeping in the same room as a grandfather clock and a baby grand, my life has been changed for good.

7. The House Show Crew and Mikayla. Mikayla introduced me to the residents of the Avocottage and there are a handful of my Saturday nights that I will cherish to the end of time. I have been influenced by these guys in the cozy closeness that comes with a shared love of good music. Furthermore, having seen these friends act and heard their lyrics and dramaturgy, the passion I have for these arts will never fade.

8. Writers such as J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K. Rowling and  Kristen Britain. Books. Reading. Fantasy. Imagination. To be honest, I cannot remember what I started to read first out of Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings. It might have actually been around the same time. Thankfully, Mom read Harry Potter aloud to the whole family whilst I read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy to myself. I had never really considered being a writer until I read these books, most especially the Lord of the Rings (which is evident in the short story I wrote in 6th grade based off of what the Lord of the Rings had caused to me imagine concerning elves and hobbits). Then when I stumbled upon the Green Rider Series by complete happen-stance, it merely encouraged my love of the fantastic and has had great influence upon the kind of stories I most seriously pursue when it comes to my own writing. These are the influences of my dreams and writings.

9. Jill Reed followed closely by Maren O'Dell. Jill Reed is the lady I give credit to for my learning how to sing. She was one of the those rare kind of grown ups who was legitimately about the kids. Without a real teaching position, I remember her coming to my elementary classes once a week or so and instead of PE we would sing (which, as always, I found a much better alternative). Even from that young age, she knew I was to be an alto and so she stuck me near the strong altos so that I could learn. She gave me one of my very first opportunities to be on stage at a choir competition that we attended, selecting me and two of my friends at the time to sing a trio opening for Somewhere Over the Rainbow. As a result, this is my first choice in almost any audition because it is the song that I have sung the most and tried my best to perfect my a capella rendition of it. Continuing in my musical path, when she found that my mother had been convinced to get piano lessons for me, she let us borrow one of her two pianos so that I might practice that which she would teach me. She really believed in my talent and as such gave me two hard songs... or at least hard in my beginner's mind. Pie Jesu and Beauty School Drop Out. I was only able to take lessons from her for a short time (during which I came to be the proud owner of a certain black and white cat that she found in her backyard one day) before the family moved to Corning, CA. To be honest, if I could have at least one wish granted, it would be to see her face to face once more so that I could show her how far I've come from the wisp-ish little 11 year old to the young woman I am now, having progressed in my singing, playing, acting and dancing since those days when she took the time to re-enact the Phantom of the Opera for all of us wondering students to dream of.  I include Maren O'Dell because of the patience she had with me to re-work what I had been taught concerning piano playing (something that Jill had predicted my future teacher would have to do because of her rather unorthodox teaching). She broke me down a bit and re-built me into a better pianist who can now sight read a great deal and also search for more difficult songs in the genres I like most. 

10. This in no way means that these are the last on my list but merely because I felt the best way to finish off a Sunday post would be with my testimony. Jesus Christ has influenced my life in all areas. He is the reason I can hope for tomorrow. Through His sacrifice and everlasting atonement, I know that I will continue to progress from this life into the next life. If I keep the commandments of our Heavenly Father and follow in the footsteps of His Son, Jesus Christ, then all things will work out in the end. "My kindness shall not depart from thee," is a promise I remember almost daily and thank my Lord, Jesus Christ for the opportunity to repent and try again tomorrow. I can stand bravely in the face of adversity when I remember He is by my side and has never left me. 
I love my Brother. I love my Father. And I am thankful for the Holy Ghost that they have sent to me to keep me walking along that right path toward eternal life and love. There hasn't been one decision that has altered my life where I haven't stopped to consider if it was in keeping with what He has commanded me to do. Read the Book of Mormon. I know it to be true and another testament of the living Christ. I am thankful for the people who have influenced my life, mentioned here in this blog or not, and look forward to the people I will meet who will contribute even more to the enriching of my life.

Stay tuned next time to discover my most embarrassing moment. Le gasp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment